Need to help a student?

Title IX and Possible Instances of Sexual Misconduct

The following information about Title IX should appear on your syllabus:

If, at any time during this course, I happen to be made aware that a student may have been the victim of sexual misconduct (including sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic/dating violence, or stalking), I am obligated by federal law to inform the university’s Title IX Coordinator. The university needs to know information about such incidents to, not only offer resources, but to ensure a safe campus environment. The Title IX Coordinator will decide if the incident should be examined further. If such a situation is disclosed to me in class, in a paper assignment, or in office hours, I promise to protect your privacy–I will not disclose the incident to anyone but the Title IX Coordinator. For more information on Sexual Misconduct policies, where to get help, and reporting information please refer to At UD, we provide 24 hour crisis assistance and victim advocacy and counseling. Contact 302-831-2226, Student Health Services, to get in touch with a sexual offense support advocate.

Office of Equity and Inclusion

Contact the Office of Equity and Inclusion (302-831-8063) for concerns about discriminatory harassment.

LGBTQ+ Advocacy, Support, and Resources

The LGBTQ+ support center is a safe space for students, provides numerous campus resources (such as a list of gender neutral bathrooms on campus), and conducts faculty and staff training in allyship. The university also hosts both an undergraduate (Haven) and graduate (Prism) LGBTQ+ student organization.

Student Counseling and Mental Health Support

Approximately 25% of UD students in every graduating class are seen at the Center for Counseling and Student Development (CCSD). Research indicates that the number in need of these services is likely higher, and that the end of a semester can be a particularly overwhelming time for students.

CCSD recently launched a new website with a comprehensive resource section for UD faculty and staff. Please use this as a resource to determine how you can best support your students’ needs, when and how to refer students for counseling, and what happens when a referral is made.

They frequently consult with students, staff, professionals, and faculty regarding concern for an individual, behavioral problems in the classroom, or other issues that may have important psychological dimensions. If you have concern for a student in your area, please do not hesitate to reach out to CCSD at 302-831-2141, and inform the receptionist if you feel the situation is an emergency requiring immediate attention.

Several resources are available to UD students throughout the year:

  • Center for Counseling and Student Development accepts appointments year-round, and can be reached at 302-831-2141. Details on all available services are available at Students can also walk in during business hours at 261 Perkins Student Center for crisis support. Counseling services are covered by the Student Health Fee that all matriculated full-time students pay. CCSD also maintains regular drop-in hours for students of color on Mondays from 10-11 a.m., and Wednesdays/Fridays from 2-3 p.m.
  • UD Helpline 24/7/365: All students can reach a trained mental health professional 24 hours a day by calling 302-831-1001.
  • Crisis Text Line: All students can receive anonymous support via text message 24 hours a day by sending UDTEXT to 741741, or sending STEVE to the same number to reach a professional trained to support students of color.

The Student Behavior Consultation Team is also available to respond to any concerns you may have for the safety of a student or the campus.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s